As an Oakland A’s fan who follows the careers of ex-Athletics (no matter where Billy Beane trades them), there appears to be a clear-cut choice for who I should root for in the upcoming World Series.
I have no family ties in either Philly or Tampa Bay, so I decided to make a list of reasons why I should back the Phillies or the Rays…which made it obvious and easy.
- Pitcher Joe Blanton was recently acquired from Oakland
- MVP shortstop Jimmy Rollins is from Oakland
- My friend & fellow pop culture blogger Cinematically Correct is a die-hard fan
Tampa Bay Rays
- First baseman Carlos Pena was one of my favorite A’s
- DH Jonny Gomes is a local boy (born in SF, raised in Petaluma)
- My buddy Tom is a huge fan & Sports Producer in Tampa Bay; he’s even sporting the team mohawk (“rayshawk”)
- I’m an American League girl; always have been, always will be
- They emerged as divisional champs over the perennial favorite Yankees & Red Sox (whom I dislike almost as much as the Angels)
- Rays coach Joe Maddon is a Lost fan!
So there you have it. Everyone has their own criteria. Feel free to share yours.Read More