Here are my very first thoughts about Season 3, Episode 1 of LOST: “A Tale of Two Cities.” I need to sleep, daydream, and then tomorrow night I will post additional theories & possible changes to these below. I apologize in advance for any errors or repetition.
* Juliet’s house shook like an earthquake a good minute or so before the airplane actually crashed. Did it break through some kind of bubble, an insulated shield around the island?
* Ethan was fixing the plumbing under Juliet’s house. Are/were they together? Juliet has obvious vitriol toward Ben; she kicked him out of the book club and glared at him with disdain after every interaction. Perhaps they have a romantic history…
* I didn’t notice one child in this new community…
* Juliet and her neighbors did not seem that shocked to see an airplane break above them and then crash on the island. But they also must not have known about Desmond, and that he was in a hatch. They might have known what could have caused such a thing to happen (they seem to know about all of the hatches, so they’d be aware of the one with magnetic capabilities), but not by whom.
* Juliet was holding a copy of a Stephen King book. Back when Henry Gale was being held captive in the main hatch, Locke gave him a book but Gale responded with ‘what, no Stephen King?’ My best guess is that she was reading ‘Carrie,’ because it is about a girl with telekinetic powers. This would fit right into the Lost mythology. If so, does that mean Juliet has said power, and was reading Jack’s mind rather than a file??
* They purposefully did not show us what Ben (formerly known as Henry Gale) said to Kate after telling her that the next two weeks were going to be very difficult. My guess is that he’s putting her to the test, having her choose between Jack and Sawyer; that he’ll kill the one she does not choose. Perhaps he gave her two weeks to decide. They gave Michael exactly three minutes with Walt, so they are very precise with their time allotment. We now know they know every detail about her (because they sure did about Jack), including her criminal past…perhaps Ben’s chat was about that. Whatever he told her, she sure looked uncomfortable facing Sawyer again.
* Did Kate eat some of Sawyer’s fish because she didn’t want him to know that she had eaten real food? Did she eat any of the food provided by Ben? She put the cuffs right on when told she wouldn’t be able to have any coffee otherwise. Seemed a little quick to me…
* Are Sawyer and Kate being held in a zoo? Is this the zoological station/hatch? Now we know where that polar bear from Season 1 was from, not to mention Kate’s black horse, Sawyer’s frog, Locke’s boar and Hurley’s bird, among others.
* Where are all of the zoo animals now? Did they escape out onto the island, where the survivors then encountered them?
* We finally find out that there is an underwater station – the Hydra Hatch (which would explain the shark with the Dharma logo seen last season circling the raft). You clearly hear dolphins above the cage where Jack is being held. Judging from the fact that Jack is in an abandoned, rusty tank (plus Juliet’s response when he asked if she was from Dharma), I am assuming that Juliet and her community of people are a separate group of ‘Others’ from the Dharma scientists. I believe that the Dharma folks evacuated all hatches and facilities long ago, and Juliet’s Others now reside/work there.
* Shortly after we see Juliet with Jack down in the underwater hatch, she is up in the zoo area shooting a Taser at Sawyer. So either the hatch isn’t really underwater (messing with Jack’s head) or there is a very quick elevator or subway-like system up to dry land. That would explain the train sound of the original ‘monster’ we hear in the pilot episode…
* There must be at least two factions of Others: the ones with the houses that we met tonight and the ones who walk barefoot and steal children. Do Dharma people make up a third contingent?
* Who the hell was that young guy in the cage across from Sawyer? Was he one of the passengers that the Others originally took from the Tail Section beach along with the kids, while Ana Lucia & company were sleeping? Did he have his back to Sawyer because he was making a makeshift key to open the lock? Where did the Others take him after making him apologize to Sawyer? Was it all an act, was this guy an Other? Were they taking him away to convince Sawyer not to attempt to escape?
* Ben, back when he was Henry Gale the prisoner, certainly heard a lot of information while being held in the hatch. Is it possible that Juliet’s file on Jack was actually just a compiled list of details gleaned from Gale during his captivity?
* After Jack flooded the hatch, Ben locked Juliet in with him and took himself out of danger. What was that about?
* Juliet told Jack that it didn’t matter who they were, but who they are now. That is exactly what Jack said to Kate in the first season, sitting on the beach after he found her FBI ‘wanted’ flyer in the Marshall’s pocket.
* They took Jack and Kate’s blood, just like they did Michael’s when he was first captured. Or did they? Perhaps they were injecting something rather than withdrawing. Did Ben’s warning about the next two weeks have anything to do with whatever was possibly injected into them? Was it a virus or vaccine with two week’s worth of side effects?